skysport.ch
Sky Sport

Watch live sport on

Sky Sport
News Football

O'Neill 'disappointed' to lose Engels but offer 'hard to turn down'

skysports

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says he is disappointed to be losing Arne Engels to West Ham, but accepts it is a move he has to make.

media_api_sky_en_73216716a7f35940b9b1
Martin O'Neill hugs Arne Engels © PA

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says he is disappointed to be losing Arne Engels to West Ham, but accepts it is a move he has to make.

The Hoops rejected a £25m bid from Nottingham Forest for the Belgium international in the winter transfer window and Engels was keen for a move to English football.

Speaking at a media conference ahead of Saturday's Scottish League Cup second-round tie against Dundee United, O'Neill said: "West Ham wanted him to be available for the opening day of the season. Naturally disappointed, really, that he's leaving the football club, he's done very well for us.

  • Got Sky? Watch Scottish Premiership games on your phone
  • Not got Sky? Stream Scottish Premiership games flexibly on your phone

"And it's hard to dissuade him of that. If it hadn't come up, I think he'd have been happy. Even though the offer came in very late from Nottingham Forest in January, he never moaned about it at all.

"So it's an opportunity for him and it's really hard for him to turn it down."

Celtic's Arne Engels celebrates scoring to make it 2-0 during the Scottish Cup Final
Image: Arne Engels joined Celtic for £11m in 2024

Engels moves ahead of Celtic's Champions League play-off first leg against LASK next Wednesday but O'Neill understood why Engels was keen to complete the transfer, especially after Alistair Johnston suffered a leg muscle injury amid interest from Everton.

"Ideally, I'd love him to have stayed and maybe completed after the two games," said the 74-year-old, who is fully back to work after a medical procedure last week.

"It probably wasn't going to happen. You've got a concern, I suppose, with the fact that Alistair played for us when there was an offer on the table, hurt himself, maybe things like that there may disappear.

"I suppose Arne was probably worried the same sort of thing might happen. From a playing viewpoint, I probably can understand that."

Alistair Johnston picked up the injury in Celtic's Premiership win at Kilmarnock
Image: Alistair Johnston picked up the injury in Celtic's Premiership win at Kilmarnock

Canada right-back Johnston went off at half-time in Celtic's 5-1 win at Kilmarnock on Sunday.

"He'll be out for a few weeks," O'Neill said. "By the time he's fit, he'll be past the transfer deadline. He's been very stoic about it, really.

"It's a shame for him but it's not long-term. It's something that he'll get over and he'll be back."

Celtic signed Egypt winger Haissem Hassan and Germany Under-21 midfielder Mika Baur this week and O'Neill expects further arrivals.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 13: New Celtic signing Mika Baur is pictured at the Lennoxtown Training Centre, on August 13, 2026, in Glagsow, Scotland. (Photo by Rob Casey / SNS Group)
Image: Mika Baur has joined Celtic from Paderborn

One could be Chelsea left-back Landon Emenalo as a loan back-up to Kieran Tierney after the 18-year-old was given a tour of Celtic's Lennoxtown training centre this week.

"I think he's a really fine young player," O'Neill said. "Obviously we need that position covered. Kieran did exceptionally well last season, having been plagued with injuries at Arsenal. He came roaring back, which was great.

"And this young man has definitely got talent. He's got a bit of an injury at the moment. We're hoping that that will clear up shortly. And if it does, and I think it will, I'd love to have him."

Rate the article
0 Ratings
Your vote is counted.

Newsfeed

Read also

View More

Watch live sport on

Sky Sport
Copyright Sky Switzerland SA © 2001-2026. Created by EWM.swiss